Baby Steps for 2012Posted: December 31, 2011
I am a complainer, I am a dieting mess, I like to eat, I am out of shape and have knee trouble, I’m 42 and really if I were a horse I’d be shot by now. Fortunately, I’m a Bovine so my risk of being shot is slightly lowered. I have not melted away as a Weight Watcher so obviously I am not as dedicated a dieter as I like to imagine myself and overall I am debating whether or not a fat farm is in my foreseeable future.
I just read a post by Jason at 52weeks52pounds and it really got me thinking. I am too much of an all or nothing sort of cow. I will eat nothing but fruit for 2 days, feel deprived and then eat like the Bovine I am for the next two days. Obviously this doesn’t work for me as I have just a few pound loss in as many months to show for it.
I like Jason’s approach of focusing on small steps, celebrating the minor changes, and not being in such a hurry. So, I have compiled a list of small changes I am going to focus on for 2012. Changes that I think I have a good chance of accomplishing. I am going to track my successes with these changes weekly and I’m going to let the chips fall where they may.
- Drink 64 ounces of water a day
- Drink my fiber wight loss drink before each meal
- Take a multi-vitamin daily
- Walk my dogs at least 1 mile 6 days a week (they need that at least as much as I do actually)
- Attend a water workout class 1 day a week (I hate that class since it makes me feel so old but it is good for my knee and both the rheumatolgist and orthopeadist say that is the way to go)
- Do my little 25 minute weight workout 3 days a week
- Avoid white flour foods at least 50% of the time.
- Avoid sugary foods at least 50% of the time.
- Focus on eating fruits, vegs and lean proteins but understanding that I will not eat this way 100% of the time- hoping to eat this way 70% of the time.
- Weigh in at Weight Watchers every Friday no matter what unless I am out of town.
I am going to make a chart of the above and tick off what I accomplish and we’ll see how I do. I am going to celebrate each success instead of focusing on my failures and I am going to have a rockin’ and healthy 2012 and I hope you do too!
Here I go……